Established in 2008, the Thamarrurr Development Corporation Ltd (TDC) is a not-for-profit corporate entity owned by members of the Wangka, Lirrga and Tjanpa peoples. With a Board of Directors and Members representing the three ceremony groups and 20 clan groups of the Thamarrurr Region, the organisation provides representation in business, socio-economic development, employment and training as local communities strive for economic independence and freedom from reliance on welfare and government subsidies.
The TDC employs over 120 people, with over 50% being local Indigenous people, and delivers the following services:
- Construction and maintenance of commercial, residential and infrastructure facilities
- Provision of short-term accommodation via TDC Village
- Service station and mechanical workshop
- Land and sea management through the Thamarrurr Rangers
- Provision of Commonwealth Government’s ‘Community Development Program’, supporting 800+ jobseeker clients across the region
- Local Post Office
- Cultural Programs to empower local identity and leadership
- Support for Homelands and a more regional approach to development
The Thamarrurr Development Corporation project is:
Western Top End Savanna Fire Management Project
Contact: [email protected]
The Western Top End Savanna Fire Management Project is in the process of setting up a carbon business over the entirety of the Daly River Port Keats Aboriginal Land Trust (DRPKALT). The land trust falls entirely within the >1000mm/annum rainfall zone and is referring to a baseline period of 2010-2019.