Who we are
The Indigenous Carbon Industry Network is the peak industry body for the Indigenous carbon industry, and is owned by Indigenous organisations with carbon projects. The network provides a point of contact for policies impacting the Indigenous carbon industry, supports knowledge sharing through events, working groups and updates, and is committed to ensuring Indigenous groups right across Australia are well-positioned to understand and maximise the benefits from carbon projects for their country and community.
Our Mission is to promote and facilitate an active, innovative and Indigenous-led carbon industry supporting healthy country and better livelihoods for Indigenous people.
Indigenous-owned carbon projects across Australia are making a huge difference to our lives through creating jobs and supporting opportunities for Indigenous people to care for country.” Cissy Gore-Birch, Co-Chair (speaking at the Carbon Market Institute Summit, 2022)
Our members are currently producing around 1.2 million carbon credits each year through 35 Indigenous-owned savanna fire management projects and several Indigenous-owned vegetation projects. Collectively, Indigenous organisations delivering these carbon projects have established an industry employing hundreds of Indigenous people in some of Australia's most remote places. The Indigenous carbon industry is generating around $59 million worth of Australian Carbon Credit Units (ACCUs) annually across northern Australia through the Emissions Reduction Fund (ERF) compliance and voluntary markets.
We are the Indigenous carbon voice. We want to be at the table with decision-makers and included in policy development.” Suzanne Thompson, YACHATDAC (speaking at the Carbon Market Institute Summit, 2022)
Indigenous organisations interested in joining the ICIN, please Contact Us
- Strategic and Focused: Our purpose is clear and connected to our actions
- Genuine, Indigenous-led, accessible and member-driven: We work together to support each other from the ground up, by ensuring decision-making is driven by our members.
- Empowering and Inclusive: We support more Indigenous voices to be heard and seek to maximise benefits to Indigenous communities by enabling greater Indigenous engagement in the carbon industry.
- Respectful: We acknowledge that we all come from different places, yet we seek common ground where we find it. We respect local cultural protocols and are mindful that our industry is grounded in thousands of years of traditional knowledge and practices.
- Transparent and Accountable: We are a trusted voice for the industry through our reputation for practicing good governance and by supporting two-way communication throughout the network.
- Innovative and Adaptive: We are an emerging network, so we will adapt to members needs as they change. We are innovative in our work and want to learn as we grow.
- Independent and Not-for-Profit: We do not have any commercial interest in the carbon market other than seeking to enhance benefits for all Indigenous carbon businesses across Australia.
ICIN Board of Directors
ICIN Ltd is an independent, Indigenous-led not-for-profit owned by its Full Members, all Indigenous organisations that own or directly produce carbon credits. At its first Annual General Meeting, ICIN Members appointed its Board of Directors to oversee the company:
- Cissy Gore-Birch, Balanggarra Aboriginal Corporation (Co-chair)
- Dean Yibarbuk, Warddeken Land Management Ltd (Co-chair)
- Tyronne Garstone, Kimberley Land Council (KLC)
- Cathy Goonack, Wunambal Gaambera Aboriginal Corporation
- Neville Gulay Gulay, Arafura Swamp Rangers Aboriginal Corporation (ASRAC)
- There are currently 2 positions vacant
The network is currently supported by CEO Anna Boustead, and Communications Manager, Kaye Hall. We currently have 2 Indigenous-identified positions vacant - Policy Coordinator and Events Manager.
The Constitution sets the rules for ICIN Ltd, a registered not-for-profit company limited by guarantee, owned by its full members and overseen by a seven-person, 100% Aboriginal Board of Directors. Download the ICIN Ltd Constitution