Latest Industry Snapshot
- 33 Indigenous-owned and operated savanna fire management projects
- Enabling improved Indigenous fire management over 18 million ha of north Australian savanna
- Abating around 1.2 million tonnes a year, or 7.5 million tonnes of emissions since 2012*
- 75% of carbon credits produced by the savanna fire emissions avoidance method are generated by Indigenous carbon businesses.
- Around 7% of Australia’s total carbon credit units are produced by Indigenous carbon businesses (across all methods)
- 4 Indigenous-owned vegetation (HIR) projects
- Indigenous organisations report an increase in their capacity to care for country, culture and communities as a result of their engagement in the carbon industry.
- Provides hundreds of jobs on country for Indigenous land managers
- Generating social, cultural and environmental benefits of global significance
- Indigenous carbon credits attract a significant premium above the normal market price in recognition of these benefits.
- Today the Indigenous carbon industry is estimated to be valued at around $50 million per annum**
* Source: Clean Energy Regulator Project Register, March 26 2021
** Based on current production at current spot price $35/tonne plus estimated 20% premium (Market Advisory Group)
This information is an estimate only based on published market information and should not be interpreted as financial advice